Weight Loss

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Monday, December 7, 2009

Return to Form

I took a running break. I intended it to be just a few weeks but it ended up being about 6 weeks. I needed the break mentally more than anything else. Like anything else, if you run for a couple years (21 months) without a significant break, you'll get bored and lazy. At least, I will.

The break did me some good, although I have gained about 5 pounds more. In that interim, we have moved, and had a lot of other stress as well. Thanksgiving came and went. Last week I knew it was time to get out there again: actually, I was so stressed out I didn't feel I had much choice but to go move my legs and exhaust my lungs and think about anything but my life for a while. Today's run was better than last week, and I almost didn't notice that it was 15 degrees outside. The sun was shining and it was lovely. My legs want to do a lot more than my lungs are capable of right now, but hopefully we'll be back in sync soon.

Since we've "fallen back" to standard time since then, it gets dark by 4:30 now, so I decided to invest in a good headlight, as one less reason not to run in the winter. Our neighborhood doesn't have many streetlights, and it's an old neighborhood with sidewalks interrupted by old tree roots. It's treacherous without light. The headlight was a resounding success on my first night-time run--I was amazed at how much I was able to see with just a $25 headlamp.

Now I have some serious weight loss to concern myself with--in late January I was at my lowest weight of 165, and today am back to 181, after staying right around 175 for most of this year. This is significantly higher than I want to be, but despite the holidays being upon us, I think I can tackle this at least somewhat. I'm hoping we don't get tons of snow this year, so I can either run outside or get to the gym without too much trouble.

It was good to take a break, but I'm glad to be back. Weight loss will be a bonus--I need the stress relief and the endorphins. And I intend to take Bloomsday again next spring! It's the weekend before I graduate, but hopefully I won't have so much on my plate that I can't do it.

2 comments:

Gen said...

Good to take a break, better to be back! I am bummed about all the snow we're getting because I know it means running on the treadmill. Ugh. Better than nothing!

You sound like you are in a good place to tackle those few extra pounds. Go Gwen!

Dinnerland said...

Good luck with getting back on track-- now is definitely the time to do it (no better time than the present.) We've all been there -- the backslide with weight loss-- it is inevitable, unfortunately.
Now's your chance to take hold and let that band help you again if it can.
I hope this comment is a helpful motivator. I am rooting for your success as I know that it is relatively 'easy' at the beginning with a band, but when life takes back over and other things take precedence, it becomes more of a challenge.

You can do it!!
Vanessa