Weight Loss

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Monday, November 1, 2010

A New Life

It has already been a month since Lucy was born. It seems hard to believe. In fact, tomorrow is 5 weeks. The time has certainly flown quickly. I can't believe I have to go back to work in just 4 weeks. I don't mind working, but leaving Lucy will be hard, even if only for 3 days a week.

So far, I have to say that I enjoy every bit of being a mother. I didn't necessarily expect this. I have been childless for a long time--37 years, in fact. While I have always known that I wanted children, when it came to be time, I didn't know if I would miss my old life, the convenience of not having to worry about all the things that go along with having children. So far, this hasn't happened once. It's just such a different life, but I haven't found anything about it I don't love yet.

I'm also enjoying the SAHM thing for this brief time. I'm sure lots of moms think the same thing when they are on maternity leave, and find that months or years of it is a very different proposition. But right now, it's something that I didn't think I would enjoy so much. Of course, I have a pretty low maintenance little baby, and only one of them. She can't really get into anything or talk back to me, or make much of a mess. She sleeps a lot. So other than sleeplessness, this is probably about the easiest it gets as a SAHM. Still, I am enjoying it, and appreciating the fact that it is such a short time. It's definitely work, and a different kind of work, trying to keep up with housekeeping, baby laundry, and taking care of baby and myself, plus trying to support my hubby, who is working hard. I could stay home rather than go back to work, but having just finished school and started my new career, and with all the student loans I have, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me not to go back to work. And I do enjoy what I do, and want to get my practice really going, and become a better anesthetist. As I have noted before, I work 3 days a week, so while they are long ones, it's a pretty good schedule for a parent. I'll see how I feel after a few months of it.

My weight is another matter. I'm not checking it now. It went back up about 5 pounds after my lowest weight. I believe this is because I am taking domperidone to increase my milk supply. (This is because of my breast reduction surgery which I had in 2001, which impacted my ability to produce milk.) I have read about this before, and most women say that the weight comes off once the drug is discontinued. But, I don't like my weight going back up, and I was really looking forward to working towards my goal weight again. I am stuck in my sort of "in between" clothes. All in all, it's not a huge deal to me at this point, but this being a WLS blog, it is worth mentioning. In six months, if I am still dealing with this, it WILL be a big deal. But hopefully we won't have to worry about that!

No comments: