Weight Loss

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Doomsday

I ran Doomsday Hill tonight. It's actually Pettit Drive, but the organizers of the Bloomsday Race I think were the ones to christen the hill, perhaps for a little more publicity for their very popular race. Anyway, I was concerned about it. The race is in 3 weeks.

It's funny, I started running a little over a year ago. I have never had any desire to race. I still don't. I haven't done a 5K or a 10K and I have no plans for a half or a marathon. I just wanted to do Bloomsday (12K) because it's here in Spokane and it's a huge event: it used to be the largest footrace in the world, until last year when I think Dubai or someplace got 80,000 to run in their race. Bloomsday still attracts around 50,000 runners (and walkers) every year.

I'm going to be starting in the slowest group, with my hubby and some friends from school (I think). I have no plans to run without walking, or beat any particular time. I really just wanted to be part of the event.

Doomsday turns out not to be that terrible. I did walk a little midway through. It isn't much steeper than the hill I normally train on. The only terrible part is that it's almost a mile long and it's a steady grade, so there is no respite until the top. And it's around mile 5, so you're already pretty tired by then. But I was pretty pleased with the run anyway.

I didn't run the entire route; I only ran 4 miles today. I heard a long time ago that it's not great to run the race course while training for the race because it's a letdown on the day of the race--you've already run it--and you'll have adrenaline to carry you through the unexpected rough patches. I don't have any idea if that is true or not, but it does make sense. I KNOW I can walk 7.7 miles, so it's not a question of finishing. And I know I get a boost when I am running with other people around; I do have a tiny bit of competitiveness in me.

I'm looking forward to it!

1 comment:

Diz said...

Nice...good luck in the race my friend. Isn't it nice to know that you can do it? That there was a time when it would've actually felt like Doomsday? How proud you must be of your accomplishments.